23 Jul 2007

Jog On

Yesterday, Sunday 22nd July, I went to support two friends who had entered the Milton Keynes half marathon. Both of these two friends have been training for several months, gradually building up to the 13 miles distance. As I looked at the runners crossing the finish line, I thought to myself, now that is an achievement and does not look too difficult.

My fitness has greatly increased as of late, but the thought of pounding the same streets week in week out training for one race really does not float my boat. The thought of loading up the bike on the back of the car, driving to a new location and riding for a few hours seeing parts of the countryside you would not normally see, does.

Jogging is a lonely pastime, whereas cycling is social, jogging is repetitive whereas cycling is varied, jogging is boring whereas cycling is challenging. Jogging - I just don't get it.

So yes hats off to my two friends for achieving their goal, and maybe they will enter the London Marathon next year but for me no, not a chance.

Who is the greatest sportsman of all time, Sir Steve - no, Seb - no, Paula Radcliffe - perlease ! no the greatest sportsman in my opinion is Lance Armstrong. Anyone who thinks different can jog on !

No comments: